Monday, January 12, 2015

Top 10 Things I Learned In 2014


Last week I went to a “3 Kings” party, celebrating the 12th Day of Christmas, the traditional feast of the Epiphany.  At one point I was in conversation with four people, all of whom lamented that they still haven’t acted on their New Year’s resolutions.  I’m convinced that in order to strategize for a new year we first need to figure out what we learned in the previous year.  Only then can we determine how to embark on a new year.

My cocktail mates were intrigued when I shared this – and they were stumped as no one could say what they had learned last year.  I was a bit of a hypocrite, though, because I hadn’t thought about what I learned in 2014.  In prep for this column I’ve been mulling over what I learned in these last twelve months.  And since I can barely recall what I did last week, it’s been a challenge!

Granted, it really doesn’t matter to anyone except me what I learned, but I’m sharing here my “Top 10 Things I Learned In 2014” in the hope that it spurs you on with your own list.

In putting this together I was reminded that, “all real learning is relearning.”  While there’s nothing here that I didn’t know already, there is a lot I had forgotten about.  Perhaps the same is true for you.

1.     People have an immense capacity to surprise – stereotyping based on title or first impression is both easy and dangerous. 
2.     Snobbery is truly ugly – and grating.
3.     I can be my own worst enemy.  Ugh!
4.     Often times what is most obvious is most difficult to see – life can be much simpler than we make it out to be.
5.     Love can be easily lost – even between two people whose love you “knew” would last a lifetime.
6.     Opportunity comes from many unexpected places – so long as you keep an open and expectant mind.
7.     Desire is a mysterious force – saying you want something is not the same as actually craving it.
8.     Few things in life are sweeter than spending time with people who have known you for more years than you care to admit to in public – because they are the witnesses to your life.  And nothing is more sacred than spending time with a child (and not checking your cell phone).
9.     Life is harsh and unfair – and the only way to honor those who died way too soon is to live with joyful courage.
10.  Everyone loves a good story – the sure and ready connector of us all.

What about you?  What did you “relearn” in 2014 and how will it help you live an energetic 2015?

No comments: