Friday, June 29, 2012

Jumping From A Bridge


Yesterday was the first day of the second half of 2012.  Yes, the year is now half completed.  I’m taking some time to assess how I’ve used the year so far and to decide how I want to use the rest of the year.

I’ve done things this year that I’ve never done before––I’ve published my first book and I’ve signed up to be a weekly columnist for a local newspaper.  I’ve allowed myself to pursue what I’ve wanted my entire adult life––writing.

This year I’ve allowed myself the courage to embrace the possibility of failing in new ways and I’ve experienced a satisfaction I’ve never had before.

The following is an excerpt from a posting on the website http://pickthebrain.com by Scott MacIntyre.  He made it into American Idol’s Top Ten a few seasons ago.  I read this early on in the year and his words tucked themselves in the back of my head.

I’m going to allow myself to be challenged with new risks for failing and am looking forward to experiencing even newer satisfactions in the second half of 2012.

What about you?  What “bridge” are you going to dare yourself to jump from?  Like Scott, I can only believe that the water will be both cold and invigorating!


Perhaps the biggest fear for many of us is a fear of failure. But if we never try, how will we know the outcome?  So many people worry about what will happen if they fail, that they lose sight of what could happen if they succeed.


When I was a little kid, my family would take a yearly road trip to a rustic getaway called Trinity Alps Resort in northern California.  We stayed in old wooden cabins, grilled freshly-caught fish, and swam in a swimming hole along the river.  There was a walking bridge that extended across the swimming hole, and older kids would jump off of it into the water below. One summer, I was determined to try the jump. 

I asked my dad if he would do the jump with me, and he agreed.  There was no way for me to see how high up we were – I was born blind.  All I could do was step off the bridge, trusting that I would land in the water and not on a rock.

My dad counted to three, and we jumped together.  The feeling of free-falling through the air was incredible.  As soon as I surfaced and caught my breath, I asked my dad if we could do it again.

In the same way that I was uncertain about jumping into a river I couldn’t see, I was uncertain about how to be successful as a blind person in the very visual entertainment industry.  Every step off of the metaphorical bridge stretching across my career was a chance to fail – but also a chance to succeed.  And although at times I did fail, with every success came more confidence to face the next challenge, and the next after that.

As the first-ever blind contestant on American Idol, one of the hardest things for me to do was to give a convincing performance in the group songs on elimination nights.  I could have decided to make it easier on myself and sit those numbers out, but I wanted to participate just like every other contestant. 

Because I took that risk, Idol producers and millions of viewers around the world were inspired to re-think what a blind person is capable of doing.

I have to wonder though – would I have chosen to audition for Idol in the first place if I hadn’t decided to jump off the bridge in Trinity Alps?  Fear is fear, and the way in which I dealt with my ordinary fears was the same way I tackled extraordinary challenges.  In the end, we all have a choice: to let fear of what might happen keep us from reaching our goals and dreams, or to take a leap of faith into the unknown and learn as we go. 

People who achieve their dreams are people who are not afraid to take risks.  And we will never know what we could have accomplished if we never put ourselves to the test.

No comments: