Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Benefit Of A Sore Throat


Peter Bregman writes regularly online for Harvard Business Review.  I always look forward to his postings as he consistently offers insight into the mundane yet critically important aspects of our daily communication interactions.
This is a condensed version of his May 31st posting and it’s one I’ve reread several times.  I’ve seldom been as challenged by an article as I am with this:
It had been three weeks since my throat started to feel sore, and it wasn't getting better. So I decided to spend a few days speaking as little as possible. This made me acutely aware of when and how I use my voice. Which led me to a surprising discovery: I spend considerable energy working against my own best interests.
In my observations, we speak for three main reasons: 1.To help ourselves
 2.To help others 3.To connect with each other.
Frequently, I had the urge to gossip about someone else. I realized that I did this to help myself (I will feel better if I think I'm better than that person) and to connect with the other gossipers. But clearly that would distance me from the people about whom I was gossiping. In fact, it would probably even distance me from my fellow gossipers too; who could trust someone who talked behind other people's back?
I also had the urge to share information when I thought it would be helpful to someone. That's a productive reason to speak. But several times I had the urge to say something simply to show that I knew the answer. Or to get attention. Or to increase my power in the group. It became clear to me that my urge to speak in those moments came from my desire to feel special.
Sometimes I wanted to help myself by getting the answer to a question, or making sure I was counted in a decision. That's useful. But other times, I just wanted to make sure my voice was heard over the din of the other voices. I caught myself wanting to speak over someone in a meeting. Or arguing a point to get others to agree with me so I'd feel more confident in my own opinion.
If I were to reduce our counter-productive speaking to a single motivation, it would be this: We often speak to make ourselves feel better in the short-term.
But life and relationships are long-term. And when we gossip, raise our voices, speak behind other people's backs, offer unsolicited opinions, or make jokes at other people's expense we're isolating ourselves over time.
There was some good news in my experience of talking less: I listened more. And listening, it turned out, was a much more productive way to achieve my speaking objectives than speaking.
When I listened, I helped myself, helped others and built relationships at least as effectively as I did speaking and with much less collateral damage.
Bregman touches on several themes that are at the heart of my own work.  I believe we live in a time when talk is cheap.  Turn to the cable news channels, listen to politicians, and hear the truth of language being massacred (and I don’t use that word lightly).
Bregman’s article offers insight into why talk is so cheap—many, most, of us are trying to feel good in the short term.  And I, too, am guilty of wanting instant gratification.  While I don’t enjoy arguing and don’t feel compelled to get others to agree with me, I do gossip and I can show off in meetings and conversations. 
My need to be liked and approved in the here and now consciously and unconsciously influences how I speak.
Since reading this article, I’ve made an effort to be more mindful of how and why I speak, to invite others to talk, and to listen with more interest.
What about you—how does the way in which you communicate satisfy your short term goals and needs?  Interested in taking a look at the long term?

No comments: