Friday, January 25, 2013

New Feature! "Quotable Friday"



The other night I gave a talk to a group of high school juniors––on how to prepare for college.  The gist of my talk was that the best way to prepare is to make sure that you become a person who is able to recognize and embrace opportunity whenever and wherever it presents itself.

I ended with one of my favorite quotes––the first sentence of Charles Dickens’ “David Copperfield”:

Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.

I concluded with the hope that they’d each become the hero of their own life.

Now, this post is actually not about becoming the hero of your life.  However, in thinking about how I want to use this blog this year, I was reminded that since college I’ve collected quotes––quotes to inspire and prod me in my thinking and living.  I’ve got them scribbled in notebooks and index cards and truth is, many of them I’ve not looked at in a very, very long time!

So, I’ve decided to dust off the quotes and create what I’m calling “Quotable Friday.”  Each Friday I’ll share five of my favorite quotes––favorites for any and all reasons––in the hope that at least one will give you a “whack on the head” and get you thinking and seeing in a way you haven’t before.

Enjoy!

1.     Never say anything about yourself you do not want to come true. (Brian Tracy)



2.     We know what we are, but know not what we may be. (Shakespeare)



3.     Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. (Mark Twain)



4.     If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astonish ourselves. (Thomas Edison)



5.     Fall seven times.  Stand up eight. (Japanese proverb)



No comments: