Monday, October 29, 2012

How Not To Starve At Life's Banquet

The other day a friend of mine surprised me with a generous gift.  For a host of reasons, I find it difficult to accept gifts––especially generous and unexpected ones.  My instinct was to politely, firmly turn down the gift––to run from it like it was some alien, toxic matter!  But I also instinctively knew that that was not the right thing to do, that kindness should not be rejected.  And so with a note of thanks I accepted the gift.

In turn, my friend wrote back:

This is all part of my renewed pledge not to starve at life's banquet.  I'm on my 3rd day of 4 hours' sleep working on a project with no end in sight, so I'm taking my joy where I can.  I've decided that nothing will stand in the way of celebrating what deserves to be celebrated––achievement, fellowship, friendship and love. . .all the time and at every opportunity.  I'm going to be a card-carrying member of the 47 percent and I'm entitled to be happy and make and share that happiness.  “Bon Courage” for the day to us all––every day. . .

I think we all would do well to follow my friend’s example. . .

Bon Courage to you this week! 

No comments: