Monday, April 20, 2015

What Makes A "Pro" A "Pro"!


As I’ve mentioned before, in addition to my communication coaching and teaching, I officiate non-denominational wedding ceremonies.  I belong to several national wedding associations, including one named WIPA.  Recently I attended a networking event WIPA held at The Roosevelt Hotel.

It was a fun, festive event.  Looking around the ballroom at my fellow wedding vendors I realized what a lucky guy I am because in this sphere of my life I get to work with some of the most deep-down good people you will find anywhere.  While the wedding industry is not all fairy tale dreams, it is an arena that attracts some remarkable people.

In reflecting on what allows my colleagues to shine, it occurred to me that wedding professionals work from a place of heightened awareness of the client.  Because it is a people-centric industry, the world of weddings is demanding and challenging, but so much of it is creative and innovative.  The folks I admire take pride in their “brand” and  relish being part of a larger endeavor.  They respect their colleagues’ brands and admire each other’s handiwork and skill wanting to know,  “how did you get to be so good at what you do?”

A wedding pro knows that without the satisfaction of the couple their work means nothing.  And this truth guides them in the joy they take in their work.  Critics of weddings say that it’s all a whole lot of nonsense for just one day.  I think a real wedding pro knows that it’s a whole lot of something for the purpose of celebrating life.  While I enjoy officiating weddings for many reasons, the chief reason is that I’m part of something bigger than me – something that is life-affirming.   

Of course, not everyone can work in the wedding world and be a member of WIPA but  I think that at some point you need to look around where you work and ask, “am I happy to be sharing my energy with these people”?   What’s more,  eventually, I think each of us has to answer this question: “Why do I do what I do?” 

If you’re unhappy in your work, then I’ll tack on the follow-up question of, “If you weren’t doing what you’re doing, what would you be doing?”  And, hey, I’ll tack on the follow-up to the follow-up – “Why aren’t you doing it?”

I don’t want to come across as pie-in-the-sky because I know you need a job.  Each of us, though, needs something else – we need “meaning.”  Mark Twain said that, “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

What are the sources of meaning in your life?

No comments: