Friday, August 01, 2014

Speaking Mistakes That Turn Off An Audience From Your Great Ideas




When not giving seminars on interpersonal communication skills, I’m officiating non-denominational wedding ceremonies. (Long story for another kind of post!) Recently, I attended a networking event for wedding professionals. Jack (name changed), the keynote speaker, was introducing a new website aimed at the Millennial bridal market.

Within minutes of Jack’s talking I began to wonder – does this guy know who we are?

Because I coach nervous professionals in how to present themselves in smart, strategic ways, I’m used to dealing with jittery neophytes. However, it’s been a long time since I attended a presentation offered by a supposed seasoned pro who truly “bombed.”

It’s happened to the best of us. It happened that night to Jack. However, in reflecting on his talk, I was most struck by how thorough he was in making the most basic of speaking mistakes. And Jack reminded me why those mistakes are so basic.

So here are the 12 Most basic speaking blunders that will turn off an audience from your great ideas:

Continue reading

No comments: